Monday, May 11, 2009

Elder Perrin - 5 May 2009

Hey, sorry about last weeks email. I actually wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad, but I might have, my bad on that one. I actually was just writing some things down that have been on my mind, they weren't actually pointed to anyone in specific. I think a lot of it could have been an experience I had while we went to this members house. They were really close to having their first baby, and they lived in just this tiny little attic above this house, it was really small, but really clean and when I walked in I felt peace. While we were giving the lesson and talking with them, it just felt like I was in the temple, and to be honest I think I just had the strongest desire to make my future house feel the exact same way. All these thoughts came to my mind, about how a lot of people care about what their house looks like, or they care about the cool stuff that's in their house, instead of what their house feels like, and it made me kind of sad. It's just sad how Satan blinds everybody, even members of the church. and it's just sad how happiness gets confused.
I think it's kind of sad how in the church sometimes that children kind of get their testimonies spoon fed, so when it comes time for adulthood, sometimes we withdraw from the church because we haven't really received a testimony for ourselves, but I think later on it comes once we realize the blessing we had before when we were actually choosing the right and living the gospel. I think sometimes it can be necassary for young people to withdraw. Sometimes that is what is necessary I think so that the person can gain their own testimony. I think the important thing is just to let them go and not keep trying to convince them to come back. It could lead to more withdrawal. I think patience and prayer and love is the best thing that someone can do to help a loved one back. They will eventually, sooner or later, realize the correct path, sometimes after a lot of pain and grief that could have been avoided, but in the end they come back. I think a mistake sometimes parents make is they become overly worried, and sometimes start to blame themselves for the decisions their children make, and then surprisingly maybe even become depressed, or less happy, and loose sight and trust in Heavenly Father. The best thing I think to do is just be even happier, and even more righteous than before. Smile more, laugh more, read the scriptures more and pray more, and wait. I don't know, hopefully my kids aren't as bad as I was, hopefully not worse. Most likely my kids will be just like me though.
I'm glad you had fun on your little getaway mom, you deserve some time. Man , do you get sad sometimes that almost all your kids are out of the house? I would be sad. It's like the mission in some ways. Somedays you just can't wait to get to be all alone again, but then once their gone your just like uh, great, I miss them. Now what do I do? I don't know, you guys luck out because of Charlie. So this Sunday is the last phone call until I am home, I think. That is pretty crazy. It kind of feels like the last stretch before home, but at the same time, I still have a lot of time left even after this Sunday. So just pray that we can have our goals of member work accomplished.
I'm basically switching over my missionary tactics, but it requires more patience, and smarter tactics. But I think it will work in the end, and pay off more in the long run. You see, missionary work is not about tracting or contacting people, even though those can be important. I don't know, I'm kind of trying something a little different, but I think it's working. Anyway, yeah it has warmed up a little here. I'm pretty sure it's going to stay. If it doesn't I'll cry, because It's almost summer and it shouldn't be cold. So what time do you want me to call on Sunday. I was thinking that I could do it at night, does that work? Hopefully it does. Well have a good week. Ihope all is well. Things are good here. Pray I don't get transferred. He He.

Love Curt

1 comment:

DnD Gibb said...

How did we get so far behind in Curt's letters. It was so good to get caught up. What a man? He sure has grown up and his thinking and comments are wonderfully true and on task. I sure hope the kids younger than him will listen with BIG ears and understanding. Why can't the youth follow counsel and advice and bypass some of the troubles of life? We sure love our missionary!